Odorous breath can put a damper on your day and your self-esteem. No one wants to feel self-conscious about stinky breath, but the truth is we all experience it from time to time.
Today, our Cheney dentists are going to giving you some more information about how and why bad breath develops, as well as what you can do to fight it. Keep reading to learn more!
The first thing to keep in mind is that not all bad breath is created equal. For example, bad breath due to stinky foods, like garlic or onions, is temporary and nothing to be too concerned about. This type of bad breath will dissipate on its own, as the odorous foods or drinks are processed through your body.
More chronic bad breath, on the other hand, is often linked to some kind of ongoing oral infection. This is the case because the same oral bacteria that cause cavities and gum disease also release unpleasant odors as they feed and grow. If you are having trouble freshening your breath, it may be because you have an abundance of bacteria in and on your smile.
To combat chronic bad breath, you want to:
- Complete a professional dental cleaning so that our team can clear away plaque and tartar
- Make sure to drink plenty of water throughout the day to encourage saliva production
- Rinse your smile with water after eating or drinking
- Take special care to brush your tongue when you clean your smile
- Limit the amount of sugars and refined carbohydrates you consume
- Choose gum and mints that are sugar-free, so as not to feed oral bacteria
Bad breath is an annoying problem, but it is by no means insurmountable. Our Cheney dentists are happy to give you any additional information that you need; just give us a call to schedule a personal consultation!